Thursday, March 28, 2013

Our Chicks Settling In

We picked up our new (about 5-6 week old) chicks this afternoon. I'm kind of a (read complete) control freak but I promised myself that any chick (that were female) that my children chose would be the one that they got. It's really an eye opening experience to see how ingrained their personalities are, even at 2 1/2 and 5.

My oldest went for the underdog--a Bantam hen that was at least one quarter smaller than any of the other chicks--but louder than all of them combined. After we ran around the yard after her we finally had her settled into my hands and it was time to help my younger daughter find her chick. She loved looking at them, but wasn't super psyched about getting near them and let us show her a couple of the more mellow hens. She picked a beautiful, quiet Easter Egger.

During the hour ride home we heard the Bantam squawking the entire time, with a chirp or two from our Easter Egger. Just like my girls, usually. It was amazing to watch both of them with the chicks. Oldest held hers carefully and was in awe of its aliveness. Little one...well she looked--she didn't want to touch--but she looked at her hen and could already feel the pride of ownership.

Here's a quick pick at our two chicks:



No comments:

Post a Comment