Thursday, March 28, 2013

Chicks for My Chicks

As a mom, I am constantly wanting to do more, be better and help with everything. Those are some of the biggest plate balancing acts in my life right now. How do I work (more than full time), volunteer (because I'm passionate about community development and it energizes me) and still have time to be a great mom and wife? I ask this almost every day and for the last six months or so, I've been working at adding in things that I feel are necessary and will make a lasting impact in the long run.

One major area I chose to focus on was health. I'm an emotional eater--and I have A LOT of emotions. Bummer. I'm also socked with some pretty short and squat genes--put that together with some pretty big family tragedies in the last few years and I added on way too much weight. As I've been trying to help myself become healthier and happier, I also wanted to make sure that I imparted that knowledge to my kids before they were too old. One way we do this is by trying to locally source our veggies almost exclusively and fruit and meat when we can. That doesn't mean I don't break down and buy tomatoes at BJ's...because I do. I love Caprese salads and couldn't live without them. But, as much as we can we try to eat from local farmers markets and our own little garden.

Over the last few months, I've also been thinking a lot about meat...and eggs. I'm trying to help us eat less meat--I just don't feel our world is all that sustainable with so many major meat eaters (this hearkens back to my years of vegetarianism and a great book called Freedom of Simplicity by Richard Foster). I want to teach my children where food comes from and help them to make choices that will positively effect our world when it's possible.

So, we decided to get chicks. Easter Eggers to start. We'll pick up two this evening and maybe add two to four more of different varieties over the next few months. Last night, my girls and I made the brooder for our chicks. It was lots of fun and I was able to explain more about chicks, food and keeping them safe and happy. I can't wait for tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment